Free Settler or Felon
Convict and Colonial History

Colonial Events 1809

Colonel William Paterson was administrator of the colony from 9 January to 31 December 1809.

The first Presbyterian church in Colony was built at Ebenezer on Hawkesbury River in 1809

January 5

Rev. Robert Cartwright appointed senior Assistant Chaplain, N.S.W January

January 22

Lieutenant William Lawson proceeded to Newcastle on the Estramina to take over the settlement as Commandant. He was accompanied by Charles Throsby (SG 22 January 1809). Select here to read of their eventful journey to Newcastle

January 26

Arrival of Aeolus convict ship. Master Robert Addie. Surgeon Richard Hughes


William Bligh to Hobart. John Macarthur and Major Johnston sail to England to present their case.

April 25

First post office established in the Colony - 'The Lieutenant Governor, in order to prevent the practice of such frauds in future, has been pleased to establish an office at which all parcels and letters addressed to the inhabitants of this colony shall be deposited, previous to their distribution' - Sydney Gazette

April 25

Isaac Nichols who arrived as a convict on the Admiral Barrington in 1791 was proclaimed the colony's first postmaster.

April 27

Lieutenant-Colonel Lachlan Macquarie appointed Governor of New South Wales....

Downing Street
27 April 1809 -

The King has been pleased to appoint Lieutenant-Colonel Lachlan Macquarie of his Majesty's 73rd regiment of foot, to be Governor and commander in Chief in and over His Majesty's settlement of New South Wales and its dependencies. (London Gazette 4 May 1809)

May 4

The Factory at Parramatta was re-established under the direction of Mr. Benjamin Barrow, and was open for the reception of Wool and Flax for the Fabrication of Woollen and Linen Cloth on the same Terms as when under the Superintendence of the late Mr. Mealmaker.

May 19

Departure of the Hindostan, Captain Pasco, and the Dromedary Captain Pritchard, from Portsmouth with a detachment of the 73rd regiment and Governor Macquarie and his family on board. Joseph Arnold surgeon on the Hindostan


Record floods at the Hawkesbury river

June 16

Court-martial of Garrett Armstrong (Deserter from NSW Corp - sent to Newcastle)

June 25

Arrival of Experiment from Cork with 60 female convicts.


Heavy flooding at the Hunter River with a rise of ten to twelve feet from the usual level. The Sydney Gazette reported that ' such was the rapidity of the efflux as to occasion a fresh of water so far as the extremity of Port Stephens which is about 30 miles north from the mouth of the River.' (Sydney Gazette 13 August 1809)

August 14

Arrival of Convict transport Boyd from Cork

August 14

The first detachment of the 73rd Regiment arrived in New South Wales on board the convict transport Boyd. Three officers. Captain Cameron and Lieutenant John Pike and Lieutenant Thomas Wright. 137 male convicts, 5 having died on the passage out (HRA., Series 1., Vol.VII, p.175)

August 18

Arrival of Rev. William Cowper in Sydney

August 18

Arrival of the Indispensable, Captain Best. Newcastle surgeon William Evans arrived on the Indispensable as surgeon superintendent


William Evans appointed colonial surgeon


Crew of the ship Boyd murdered by cannibals at New Zealand


Lieutenant Wright appointed Commandant at Newcastle in the temporary absence of William Lawson


The New South Wales Corps to be replaced by 73rd regiment.

December 10

Absconders from Newcastle re-captured. The Estramina in from Hunter's River on Wednesday, having taken on board in Broken Bay two persons who had effected an overland escape from King's Town, and who were in a truly deplorable condition, having been stripped naked and treated severely by the natives, and had been a prey to famine during the travel they had so rashly undertaken, conscious at the same time that they could reap no advantage whatsoever from a rashness which was certain of exposing them to danger and vicissitude. As soon as landed they were lodged in confinement, and the Lady Nelson sailing for the Settlement from whence they had absconded the day following, they were put on board to be returned. - Sydney Gazette 10 December 1809

December 28

Arrival of the Hindostan with a battalion of 73rd Regiment in Sydney with Major General Lachlan Macquarie. The New South Corps was replaced by the 73rd regiment.

December 28

Arrival in Sydney of Ellis Bent, judge advocate of NSW on the Hindostan