Free Settler or Felon

Search the Free Settler or Felon Database

Convict Ship Gaillardon 1839 


Share the story of your ancestor's life

Send an email to contribute your ancestor's story to this page

(Convicts and passengers from this ship only)

Home Convict Ship Surgeons Conditions on Convict Ships
Convict Ship Index/ By Year Convict Ship Captains Index Resources

Select from the Links below to find information about Convict Ships arriving in New South Wales, Norfolk Island and Van Diemen's Land between the years 1788 and 1850.

J -K L M N - O P - Q R S T - V W - Y

Embarked: 16 men
Voyage: 4 months
Deaths: 1
Surgeon's Journal: no
Previous vessel: Blenheim arrived 27 September 1839
Next vessel: Mary Anne arrived 10 November 1839
Captain Rapson
The Gaillardon arrived in Port Jackson from Calcutta via Hobart Town on Tuesday 22 October 1839, having left Calcutta the 16th June and Hobart the 11th October with 1500 bags of wheat, 800 bags of rice and sugar etc.,  

Passengers included Colonel Henry William Breton, 4th regiment, Miss Stewart, Dr. Hicks, Lieut. Mocklin, Bengal Infantry, Mr. Young and 16 convicts (military convicts from India).

One of the men, Bryan Noonan died at Hobart on 15th September on the voyage to New South Wales.  

At least thirteen of the prisoners of the Gaillardon had been born in Ireland. They were tried in Madras, Bombay, Secunderabad and Kamptdee for crimes such as striking an officer, shooting with intent, manslaughter, attempting to strike a colonel and purchasing stolen property.  

Two prisoners on the Gaillardon have been identified in the Hunter Valley - William Moss and Charles Sheehan. William Moss was 30 years old and married with five children. He had been employed as a cook and butler, and bugle serjeant in the Artillery. He was convicted of manslaughter at a Secunderabad Court Martial on 23 July 1838 and sentenced to 7 years transportation. He was granted a ticket of leave for the Paterson district in May 1842.

Charles Sheehan was 25 years old and a single man. He was born in Co. Carlow, Ireland and was a labourer and soldier of the 48th regiment. He was sentenced at Deesa Bombay on 9th August 1838 to 14 years transportation for striking a corporal. He obtained a ticket of leave for the district of Dungog in 1845 however the ticket was cancelled as he was unable to support himself, being insane.    

Notes & Links:  

1). Hunter Valley convicts arriving on the Gaillardon in 1839  

2). The Gaillardon also brought convicts to New South Wales in 1838



web counter