Free Settler or Felon

Search the Free Settler or Felon Database

Convict Ship Edward 1831 


Share the story of your ancestor's life

Send an email to contribute your ancestor's story to this page

(Convicts and passengers from this ship only)

Home Surgeons Conditions
Ship Index Captains Index Resources

Select from the Links below to find information about Convict Ships arriving in New South Wales, Norfolk Island and Van Diemen's Land between the years 1788 and 1850

J -K L M N - O P - Q R S T - V W - Y

Embarked 158 men
Voyage 128 days
Deaths 5
Surgeon's Journal: yes 
Tons: 406
Crew: 32 men
Previous vessel: York arrived 7 February 1831
Next vessel: Lady Harewood arrived 4 March 1831
Captain James Gilbert.
Surgeon Superintendent William Thomas Bell

Follow the Irish Convict Ship Trail 

The Edward was built in Bristol in 1806. Convicts were transported to New South Wales on the Edward in 1829, 1831 and to Van Diemen's Land in 1834.

The Edward departed Cork on 17 October 1830 with 158 male convicts.  The Guard consisted of Captain Duds and Ensign Irskine with 29 men, five women and seven children of the 17th regiment. Select here to find convict ships bringing detachments of the 17th regiment.

Thomas Bell kept a Medical Journal from 23 August 1830 to 14 March 1831.......

The diseases on board the Edward on the passage from Cove of Cork to New South Wales were principally dysentery, fever and two cases of cholera. For the first month they were all free from disease until they put into Porto Praya in St. Jago for a fresh supply of water.

None of the convicts would have been allowed on shore, however the seamen and perhaps the surgeon and captain may have ventured out. Two years later in September 1832, Lieutenant William Henry Breton on his voyage to the colonies went on shore at Porto Praya - he described the scenery in his 1833 publication Excursions in New South Wales, Western Australia, and Van Diemen's Land
Surgeon William Thomas Bell reported on this voyage.......

Immediately after leaving Porto Praya almost all were attacked with disease of the bowels. On the slightest motion of the vessel all became immediately sea sick. And notwithstanding that the greatest cleanliness and ventilation was used during the voyage together with as much exercise as was possible to allow them, yet it was of no avail.

The principal reason I can assign for the convicts being so easily affected is in consequence of their minds have been kept in since July last when some of the most evil disposed attempted to burn the Essex Hulk in consequence of which those who remained (after the full number of prisoners were sent on board the Hercules for New South Wales) were sent to the Surprise Hulk from which 121 cases on board the Edward. Although the burning did not succeed in Dublin, they again ventured three times to commit the same horrid act in Cove.

Relative to the agitation of the minds of the prisoners and of which I have a spoken, I must remark that the greater number of them being born in a country place the scenes they passed through since they became prisoners not at all contributed to their peace of mind.
The Standard reported the burning of the Essex on 17 June - The Essex Hulk stationed in Kingstown harbour is on fire and nearly consumed! A number of convicts are on board. The sloop of war Trincolo, and the revenue brig Shamrock, with some transports, have sent all their boats to the assistance of the unfortunate prisoners; and a strong force of horse and foot police from the city has been ordered off to Kingstown. The Essex was an American Frigate of 36 guns, and was taken during the late war at Valparaiso, by his Majesty's frigate Phoebe, of 36 guns commanded by Captain Hillier.

The Edward arrived in Port Jackson on 22 February 1831 with 153 male prisoners. A muster was held on board on 26th February by the Colonial Secretary. One hundred and forty-eight prisoners were mustered, five were in hospital in Sydney and five men died on the voyage out. The indents include  name, age, religion, education, marital status, family, trade, offence, where and when convicted, sentence, previous convictions, physical descriptions, where and to whom assigned. There are also occasional notes concerning colonial sentences, deaths and Tickets of leave.

Peter Kilroy, James Moore and Patrick Carroll died at sea. William Armstrong and Richard Mooney died at the General Hospital Sydney soon after arrival.

There were possibly two different convict ship surgeons by the name of Thomas Bell. The signature on the medical journal of the Eliza, Prince George in 1837 and Portsea in 1838 are all similar. The signature on the medical journal of the Thames in 1829 (VDL) and of this one of the Edward  appear to have been signed by a different surgeon to the Eliza, Prince George and Portsea.  

Notes and Links:

1). State Library of Victoria.....Contents/Summary: A) Journal kept on board convict ship Thames, 17 Jun-23 Nov. 1829, on a voyage from Deptford to Hobart -- B) 'Convict ship Edward. From Cove of Cork to New South Wales. Copy of Hulk and Sail List'. Signed by Thomas Bell, Surgeon Superintendent. Lists names of 158 convicts, with county of origin, age, physical appearance, date of trial, crime, sentence and character during the passage, with a second list giving names and character -- C) Journal kept on board the convict ship Edward 24 Aug 1830-16 Feb 1831. Although the first page is inscribed 'Cove of Cork to N.S.W., journal commences at Deptford and concludes while the ship is still at sea. Edward arrived in Sydney, 22 Feb 1831.......... Notes: Original held by Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales at ZML MSS 34.

2). Select here to read about the punishment that convict Henry Hewitt endured at Campbelltown in 1833

3). Hunter Valley convicts/passengers arriving on the Edward

4). Prisoners convicted of white boy crimes included Bernard Cox - stealing arms - Longford Dominick Farrell - stealing arms - Longford. Michael Kenny - compelling to leave a farm - Longford William Moran - compelling to quit a farm - Longford Bernard Murphy - assault and riot - Monaghan William Noles - stealing a pistol - Cavan Bernard Shanley - stealing arms - Longford Michael Sharpe - ribbonman - Queens Co. Lawrence Shortall - found armed at night - Queens Co Thomas Fingleton - ribbonman - Queens Co...

Queens County Outrages...On the 4th instant, about one o'clock a.m. the house of Patrick Brenan of Cloppook in this parish (Stradbally) was visited by a party of the nightly legislators, demanding arms. Brenan, who is a Roman Catholic, bluntly refused compliance; upon which a sledge was stoutly applied to batter in his door. Parley having, of course, ceased on both sides, Brenan fired at the man who wielded the sledge - a deep groan was heard, and the body was removed behind the house by some of the party, who soon returned to enforce their demand for arms. Threats, intimidation of every kind, were held out, and at length a show of fire to burn the house was made. By the light, afforded by the blown coal and burning wisp, Brenan distinguished one of his next door neighbours in this horrid preparation and he also had the good fortune to get a view of another person - at the latter individual he took aim and shot him on the spot. The marauders then took to flight, carrying with them both the bodies. ON the next morning, Brenan lodged information against his neighbour whose name is Fingleton. He was soon afterwards apprehended at Timahoe, through the activity of Major Cosby, and lodged in Maryborough gaol. On the same night the house of Thomas Brenan, brother of Patrick was attacked and a case of pistols taken. (Freemans Journal 13 November 1829  

5). Anthony Brown who arrived as a convict on the Edward accompanied Sir Thomas Livingstone Mitchell's expedition  

6).  Return of Convicts of the Edward assigned between 1st January 1832 and 31st March 1832 (Sydney Gazette 14 June 1832; 5 July 1832).....

Dennis Curtin Shoemaker assigned to Charles Turner at Sydney
Bryan Flannagan Sailor assigned to Alfred Kennerly at Rooty hill
Michael Prior Labourer assigned to William Wilkinson at Liverpool

7). Returns of corporal punishment 1833.....

8). Convict Ships bringing detachments of the 17th regiment........

Date/Place of Departure Vessel Officer of the Guard
30 September 1829 Sheerness Dunvegan Castle Lieut. John Grey
14 October 1829 Spithead Katherine Stewart Forbes Major Fairtclough 63rd regt.,
5 December 1829 Sheerness Mermaid Lieutenant Isaac Blackburn
1 January 1830 Cork Forth 1 Captain James Oliphant Clunie
1 January 1830 Sheerness Nithsdale Captain Robert G. Moffatt
8 April 1830 Portsmouth Lady Feversham Lieutenant  Harvey 29th regt.,
9 April 1830 Sheerness Marquis of Huntley Lieutenant Watson 20th regt.,
27 April 1830 Portsmouth Adrian Ensign Reynolds
6 June 1830 Downs Lord Melville Lieutenant Robert Graham
3 July 1830 Dublin Hercules Major J.W. Bouverie
5 July 1830 Portsmouth Royal Admiral Captain John Church
27 July 1830 Plymouth Burrell Captain John Alexander Edwards
28 August 1830 Cork Andromeda Captain Charles Forbes
4 September 1830 Sheerness York Lieut-Col. Henry Despard
17 October 1830 Cork Edward Captain Duds
10 May 1832 Cork Eliza II Lieutenant Hewson 4th regiment



web counter