Convict Ship Prince Regent 1824
Share the story of your ancestor's life
email to contribute your
ancestor's story to this page
(Convicts and passengers from this
Select from the Links below to find
information about Convict Ships arriving in New South Wales, Norfolk
Island and Van Diemen's Land between the years 1788 and 1850
Embarked: 180 men
Voyage: 153 days
Surgeon's Journal: yes
vessel: Countess of Harcourt arrived 12 July 1824
arrived 20th August 1824
Captain Alexander Wales
Thomas B. Wilson
Follow the Irish Convict Ship Trail
|The Prince Regent was built in
Shields in 1810. This was the second of three voyages transporting
convicts to New South Wales, the others being in
Prisoners transported on the Prince Regent in 1823 were
convicted in Ireland. The following men were mentioned in the
Freemans' Journal in May 1823....
County Tipperary, Clonmel May 28...Fifty seven prisoners were
arraigned for alleged offences under the Insurrection Act, two of
whom were convicted, and sentenced to transportation, for criminal
absence from their dwellings - their names are Michael Ryan and Pat
Crehane, from Owney and Arra Barony, and are represented as being
very bad characters. (3)
...and in August 1823....
The sentence of death pronounced at our last Assizes on
Richard Molony, Michael Ryan, Thomas Meade, William Casey, Jeremiah
Conway and Thomas Moylan, for attacking and taking arms, from Mr.
Harding's house; has been commuted to transportation for life - and
on Thursday, an order was received by the High Sheriff to send them
off forthwith, to be embarked on board the Hulk Surprise at Cove
The Guard consisted of Captain
R.P. Steward and Lieutenant William Serjeantson of His Majesty's
40th regiment, with 2 serjeants, 2 corporals, 2 drummers and 50
privates of the same corps; exclusive of Serjeant Jones and wife of
the 48th regiment. (1) . The 40th had been serving in Ireland.
Following is an excerpt from
Historical Records of the 40th (2nd Somersetshire)
Regiment By Raymond Henry Raymond Smythies listing
the ships that brought detachments of the 40th regiment
to New South Wales in 1823 and 1824..........
Early in March 1823, the commanding officer,
Lieutenant-Colonel Thornton received an intimation that
it was intended to send the regiment to New South Wales.
In the meantime it was ordered to proceed to Dublin,
thence by sea to Liverpool, and after that by road to
Chatham, in order to form guards for convict ships when
The head quarters
reached Dublin on 15th March and occupied the Royal
Barracks. On the 30th the whole regiment embarked at
Pigeon House, in eight small vessels, and reached
Liverpool the following day.
A twenty eight days'
march, including three Sundays, brought the regiment to
Chatham. The Regiment marched in three divisions; the
first arrived at Chatham on 21st April; the second,
consisting of two companies, halted, and remained at
Deptford; and the 3rd reached Chatham on 23rd April.
During the next year the 40th was sent out, in small
detachments, as guards on board convict ships to
Australia. This was after several years' rough service
in Ireland, and but a short period of rest in
|25th April 1823||Lieutenant Lowe
|5th July 1823
|10th July 1823
|18th July 1823
||Sir Godfrey Wilestoe
|29 July 1823
|31st July 1823
|5 August 1823
||Lt.- Col. Balfour
|29 December 1823
|5th February 1824
|25 February 1824
Countess of Harcourt
|14 June 1824
||Lt.- Col Thornton
|14 June 1824
Other ships bringing detachments of the 40th regiment included
Ann & Amelia.
The Prince Regent arrived at Deal from the
River on 7th January and proceeded to Cork to embark prisoners from
the Hulk. She departed Cork on 13th February 1824 and was the next
convict ship to leave Ireland after the
in September 1823.
On the voyage she called at Rio de
Janeiro departing there on 26th April 1823.
The Prince Regent
arrived in Port Jackson Thursday 15 July 1824. A Muster was held
on board by the Colonial Secretary Frederick Goulburn. Convict
indents include information such as Name, Age, Trade, When and Where
Tried, Sentence, Native Place, Physical Description, Conduct on the
voyage and to whom Assigned on arrival. There are occasional notes
regarding date and place of deaths.
The youngest prisoners
were James McAuliffe (15), Patrick Walsh (14) and William McCourtney
(15) who were all sent to the Carter's Barracks on arrival. John
Murray a 78 year old steward from Roscommon who was hard of hearing
was also sent to the
Carter's Barracks as was Thomas Gorman who was noted to be of
weak intellect. The indents record that the abovementioned prisoner
William McCourtney was shot at Norfolk Island on 24 August 1833.
Some prisoners were assigned to Hunter Valley settlers Vicars Jacob
and Standish Lawrence Harris.
John Kirk who was a Parish Clerk was assigned to the
Hyde Park Barracks.
This was Thomas B. Wilson's first
voyage employed as surgeon superintendent on a convict ship. He was
later surgeon-superintendent on the convict ships Mangles in
in 1829, John in 1830 (VDL,) Moffatt in 1834
Strathfieldsaye in 1836. On this voyage of the Prince
Regent,, he kept a Medical Journal from 1 December 1823 to 21
July 1824. A description of the Journal with some of the convicts
and soldiers treated is available at the
Two convicts died on the passage
out - James Bowles and Thomas Gentleman
Free passengers on the Prince Regent
Frederick Boucher who established the
Bank of Newcastle in
Narrative of a Voyage around the
World by Thomas B. Wilson..... The Medico-chirurgical Review and
Journal of Practical Medicine
Hunter Valley convicts / passengers arriving on the Prince Regent in
3). Pat. Keenan and
John Purcell were charged with having stolen the carriage of a
jaunting car. From the evidence it appeared the prisoners had stolen
the carriage in the day light from the door of the prosecutor Byrne,
a jaunting car maker, and had offered it for sale. The Jury found
the prisoners guilty ,and the Recorder sentenced them as being old
offenders, to transportation for seven years. - Freeman's Journal 23
Prisoners and Protesters
(1) Sydney Gazette
22 July 1824
(2) Freeman's Journal 12 August 1823.
(re-printed from the Limerick Chronicle)
Journal 21 May 1823.