Free Settler or Felon

Search the Free Settler or Felon Database

Convict Ship Morley 1818 


Share the story of your ancestor's life

Send an email to contribute your ancestor's story to this page

(Convicts and passengers from this ship only)

Home Convict Ship Surgeons Conditions on Convict Ships
Convict Ship Index/ By Year Convict Ship Captains Index Resources

Select from the Links below to find information about Convict Ships arriving in New South Wales, Norfolk Island and Van Diemen's Land between the years 1788 and 1850.

J -K L M N - O P - Q R S T - V W - Y

Embarked: 164 men
Voyage: 112 days
Deaths: 1
Surgeon's Journal: no
Tons: 480
Previous vessel: Tottenham arrived 14 October 1818
Next vessel: Shipley arrived 18 November 1818
Master Robert Brown
Surgeon Superintendent John Whitemarsh. R.N.

The Morley was built on the Thames in 1811. This was the second of four voyages bringing convicts to New South Wales, the others being in 1817, 1820, 1828 and 1829. She also transported convicts to Van Diemen's Land in 1820 and 1823.

The Morley was the next convict ship to leave England for New South Wales after the departure of the female convict ship Maria in May 1818. Prisoners were embarked on the Morley from the hulks in June 1818.

One prisoner John Bluer a 21 year old coal miner from Chester was held on the Retribution Hulk at Woolwich. He had been tried on 17th April 1817 and sentenced to 7 years transportation. He was transferred to the hulk on 24th October 1817 and to the Morley on 29th July 1818. By the time the Morley set sail John Bluer had already been incarcerated for almost thirteen months and by the time he arrived in Australia, seventeen months had elapsed.

The Morley departed the Downs 18 July 1818, came direct and arrived in Port Jackson on 7 November 1818, a voyage of three months and 21 days.

John Whitemarsh. R.N., was employed as Surgeon Superintendent. This was his only voyage in that capacity and his medical journal does not seem to have survived. There were 164 male convicts under his care and the men all arrived in good health. The Sydney Gazette reported that only one man was lost on the voyage out - a black man named John Jenkins.

The military guard consisted of a detachment of the 84th regiment (York and Lancashire) under the orders of Lieut. Beamish. Members of the 84th regiment also arrived on the General Stewart in December 1818.

There was a great deal of anger amongst the guard on the General Stewart regarding their victualling by Captain Grainger of the General Stewart, and Lieutenant Beamish.  Captain Grainger later exchanged heated words on the decks of the General Stewart.

Grainger sought redress from Governor Macquarie who declined to interfere in the matter advising them to settle in a civil court.

Lieutenant Beamish returned to England on the Shipley in April 1819 as did surgeon John Whitemarsh.

The Morley was advertised to depart the colony in December 1818.

The former Chief Officer of the Morley George Sutherland did not depart on her. He advertised his intention to leave on the Guide in that same month.  

Notes & Links

1). Richard Ward, Innkeeper of the White Hart Inn at Muswellbrook arrived on the Morley.

2). Hunter Valley convicts / passengers arriving on the Morley in 1818