Free Settler or Felon

Search the Free Settler or Felon Database

Convict Ship Shipley 1820 


Share the story of your ancestor's life

Send an email to contribute your ancestor's story to this page

(Convicts and passengers from this ship only)

Home Convict Ship Surgeons Conditions on Convict Ships
Convict Ship Index/ By Year Convict Ship Captains Index Resources

Select from the Links below to find information about Convict Ships arriving in New South Wales, Norfolk Island and Van Diemen's Land between the years 1788 and 1850.

J -K L M N - O P - Q R S T - V W - Y

Embarked: 150 men
Deaths: 4
Voyage: 113 days
Surgeon's Journal: yes
Tons: 381
Previous vessel: Agamemnon arrived 22 September 1820
Next vessel: Guildford 30 September 1820
Master Lewis Williams Moncrief
Surgeon Superintendent Henry Ryan  

The Shipley was built in Whitby at 1805

This was the third of four voyages bringing convicts to New South Wales, the others being in 1817, 1818 and 1822.

Some of the convicts who were held on the Laurel Hulk were transferred to the Shipley on 2nd May 1820; others held on the Justitia were transferred on 5th May.

John Henry Capper's Report on the state of the Convict Establishment details how some of them may have been employed.......  

Henry Ryan's medical journal commenced on the 17th May while the vessel was still moored at Woolwich. Several soldiers of the 69th regiment presented with similar symptoms of delirium over the course of a few days and the surgeon sent them to the Military Hospital at Woolwich - Private William Halliton, Private William Norman, Private Joseph Walker and Jeremiah Haggerty were all sent on shore.

The Shipley was the next convict ship to leave England after the departure of the Agamemnon in May 1820. The Morning Post reported that the Shipley came down to Deal from the river on the 1st June and departed on 5 June 1820.

The first convict treated by the surgeon was a young lad by the name of James Ellis who presented with symptoms of gastric bleeding on 27th June. He died on 30th June. James Hearn, a weak emaciated convict died on 7th August 1820. According to Governor Macquarie's Journal there were four deaths of convicts, one of them having been accidentally drowned.

Lieutenant Windsor of the 69th regiment commanded the Guard which consisted of detachments of the 53rd, 69th and 48th regiment.

Passengers included Mrs. Cartwright, wife of Rev. Cartwright.  

The Shipley departed Port Jackson for England in March 1821

Notes & Links:

1). Convicts / passengers arriving on the Shipley in 1820


web counter