The Tradesmans' Arms
On the 1st of January 1848, Edward Richardson opened premises formerly occupied by Thomas Kerr at Muswellbrook. They were to be known as the Tradesman's Arms.
The Inn had undergone a thorough repair and Mr. Richardson considered it equal to a new house and capable of affording the traveller most comfortable accommodation. There were closed and open stabling and the best of liquors and victuals were to be supplied as well as first rate bedding for the comfort of travellers. He promised to always keep on hand a stock of good fresh beer at the low charge of sixpence per quart or one shilling and sixpence per gallon.
Perhaps he experienced some opposition in the township when he took over the Inn. In January, soon after opening, he placed the following advertisement in the Maitland Mercury:
'The undersigned gives notice, that in consequence of the vanity (or perhaps the ignorance ) of some one of the old established hands in Muswellbrook, being propped up with the idea that no person has any right to earn a living in the public line of business but just himself he takes this opportunity of laying before the public a list of prices for the year 1849
The very best gin or Brandy 6d per glass
Genuine English Ale 6d per glass
Best Rum 4d per glass
Best London porter 4d. per glass
Colonial ale 3d. per glass
Cordials or syrup 3d. per glass
Cordials wholesale with good spirit 6/- per gallon
Bottled rum 3/- per bottle
Gin or Brandy 4/6- per bottle
Wine , genuine and good 3/- per bottle
Tea or breakfast 1/-
Dinner 1/6d Bed 1/-
Hay and corn for the night 3/- per horse.
In August 1849 Edward Richardson announced that he had a licensed vehicle to run for the conveyance of any travellers who may require transport to establishments near Muswellbrook 
He took over the Albert Hotel
from Samuel Caldwell in Aberdeen in December 1849.
He was granted a publican's license for the Muswellbrook Inn
 Maitland Mercury 1847 1 December
 Maitland Mercury 11 August 1849