Free Settler or Felon?

Newcastle and Hunter Valley History

Search


First Name



Surname / Subject



Ship








Search Results



<<  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  >>
 
Item: 161637
Surname: Madgwick (obit.,)
First Name: Rev. W.M
Ship: -
Date: 17 October 1931
Place: Bendigo
Source: SMH
Details: OBITUARY. REV. W. M. MADGWICK. The death has occurred of the Rev. W. M. Madgwick, formerly rector of Long Bay and Matraville, and chaplain to Long Bay Prison, at Bendigo, Victoria. Mr. Madgwick was a native of Glen William, near Dungog, and was a son of the principal of a Church school in Sydney. He was ordained by Bishop Langley when he was 58 years of age, and ministered in several parishes in Victoria before coming to Sydney. He returned to Bendigo eight years ago, and was appointed chap Iain to the local gaol, the hospital, and benevolent asylum, and held these offices at the time of his death. For 50 years he was a member of the Masonic Lodge, Holding office as Worshipful Master and grand chaplain, and for 50 years was associated with the Manchester Unity Oddfellows. He leaves a widow and five children-the Rev. E. C. Madgwick (rector of Pyrmont), Messrs. William and Reginald Madgwick, and Mesdames Drewett and Moore.


 
Item: 183778
Surname: Marquet (obit)
First Name: Phillip
Ship: -
Date: 31 July 1937
Place: Dungog
Source: Newcastle Morning Herald
Details: Mr. Phillip Marquet, of Brookfield, a pioneer of the Dungog district, was buried in the Presbyterian section of Dungog Cemetery. The service at the graveside was conducted by Rev. J. W. McCredie. Mr. Marquet was born on the Allyn River, in the Gresford district, 82 years ago. Later, he and his family moved to Wollarobba. He was engaged in farming and grazing most of his life. His wife, who was formerly Miss Ann McInnes, of Large, died 13 years ago. Mr. Marquet is survived by six sons, two daughters, 32 grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren. Two of his brothers and two sisters are still alive. officiated at the graveside. . Mrs. A. E. Gresham, of Stratford, is a daughter


 
Item: 161754
Surname: Mason (obit.,)
First Name: J.J
Ship: -
Date: 3 July 1929
Place: Gosford
Source: SMH
Details: Obituary - MR. J. J. MASON. The death has occurred of Mr. J. J. Mason, an old resident of the Gosford district. Mr.Mason was born at London 81 years ago. For some years he was deputy shipping master at Newcastle, under Mr. Clarence Hannell. On his retirement he purchased a property in the Gosford district, where he resided for some 35 years. He was at one time Mayor of Gosford municipality. He is survived by his widow, four sons, and five daughters


 
Item: 189332
Surname: McAlpin (obit)
First Name: Peter
Ship: General Graham 1812
Date: 22 October 1898
Place: Singleton
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette
Details: A very old settler died at Singleton on September 23 in the person of Peter McAlpin aged 89 1/2 years, This hoary veteran and his brother, William McAlpin (18 months younger), who survives him, arrived in N.S.W. as children in 1812. Their people settled on the Hawkesbury, and are related to the Onus family. Peter remembered Muswellbrook in 1825, and saw some ife in the city of Melbourne in the 40s and 50s. There are few older colonists alive than William McAlpin, who resides at Bulga, near Singleton, and still actively attends to his farm.


 
Item: 184786
Surname: McDouall (obit)
First Name: John Crichton Stuart
Ship: -
Date: 31 January 1891
Place: New Freugh
Source: Singleton Argus
Details: The deceased gentleman who had reached the ripe age of 72 years and six months, was a son of the Rev. W. McDouall, one of the prebendaries of Peterborough Cathedral, and, it is stated, a first cousin to the late Marquis of Bute and Earl of Dumfries. Mr. McDouall arrived in the colony about the year 1841 and appears to have resided some little time at Stockton near Newcastle, which at that time was known as a lime burning place. After a few months there Mr. McDouall came to Singleton about 1844. From that time to the day of his death the deceased gentleman continued to reside at New Freugh a charming home some eight miles from Singleton and bearing traces in its surroundings of the home of an English country gentleman


 
Item: 184977
Surname: McFadyen (obit)
First Name: John
Ship: Brilliant 1838
Date: 19 July 1902
Place: Bolwarra
Source: The Sydney Mail
Details: The late John McFadyen was a native of Coll, Scotland. He left Scotland with his parents, sailing in the ship Brilliant and arrived in Sydney Harbour on January 26, 1838. He and his parents with many of the passengers left Sydney by steamer and landed in Morpeth. Some of the Highlanders went to Singleton where they were greatly impressed with the sight of a big windmill. They made an arrangement by which they obtained land for farming, but they found that they could do no good with it, so they nearly all made back to Maitland. John McFadyen with his parents settled on a rich flat named Bolwarra. In those days Bolwarra was a sense scrub, and it required men of a good stamp to face it and clear the land for farming. However McFadyen was a man of stamina who faced the task manfully and succeeded. He also withstood several heavy floods and was one of the foremost over 35 years ago to make embankments to stop the flood waters overcoming the flats. For many years he was a committee man of the H.R.A. and H. Association of which he was a member till the time of his death. He was also one of the principal movers in the establishment of the Farms Union in Maitland, which has proved so beneficial to the business of West Maitland. He also took a lively interest in the found of the West Maitland School of Arts, and also of the Largs School of Arts, being a trustee of the latter for a number of years.


 
Item: 162432
Surname: McKinlay (obit.,)
First Name: Dr. Ellar McKellar
Ship: -
Date: 19 November 1889
Place: Dungog
Source: MM
Details: [DISTRICT NEWS. DUNGOG. (From an Occasional Correspondent.) DEATH OF DR. McKINLAY. With feelings of the deepest sorrow I have to inform your readers of the death, at the age of 71years, of our much respected friend Dr. McKinlay, who had been a resident of this district for nearly half a century. He qualified in 1837, and came to Australia shortly afterwards, was registered in New South Wales in April, 1840, and arrived in Dungog the same year, being then only 22 years of age. There were at that time but two or three houses in the township, and most of the country being still unimproved, the surrounding bush and vegetation, as well as the native population, luxuriated in their wild and unchecked state of nature. After practising here for nine years the Doctor left in the year 1849 for South Australia, to join his brother (the late John McKinlay, the explorer)in pastoral pursuits, which he followed up with varying success for ten years, and then relinquished returning to Dungog, and resuming practice in1859, and from that time spending his life among us. Shortly after taking up his residence at " The Hermitage," (which was known everywhere on account of the hospitality of its host), he organised and conducted the first Sunday school of the district. He was a trustee and warm supporter of the Presbyterian Church, always took an active interest in the Normal school which existed before the introduction of the present educational system, and was a member and secretary of the School Board for a long period. He was one of the magistracy for many years, and his actions on the bench were at all times characterised by fearlessness and justice, while his great natural ability and exceptional powers of discernment enabled him to grasp all the points of a case with surprising quickness. As a medical man he held the highest qualifications and ranked among the foremost in his profession, his skill being recognised and acknowledged by the leading metropolitan physicians. He was never known to accept a fee from any one in poor circum-stances, and was always ready and anxious to give his services and dispense his medicines gratuitously to such persons. In his earlier days he was ever one of the first in the promotion of any movement which had a tendency to improve the status of the people or the district. Few men, if any, now living, knew so much from personal observation and experience of the habits, customs, and ceremonies peculiar to the aborigines, and he had such a humorous and interesting way of imparting this knowledge to others that many a one will remember with regretful pleasure the information and amusement acquired during an evening in his company. About twelve years ago, while out driving, he was accidentally thrown from his buggy, and sustained an injury to the hip, which was indirectly the cause of death, in so far that he never regained the use of his leg, and on Tuesday evening last, while descending a flight of steps, his injured foot caused him to trip on the top-most stair, and he was thrown with great violence to the ground, from a height of several feet, his head striking a stone with such force that it resulted in concussion of brain. He appeared to be sensible a few minutes after the accident, but from that time was quite unconscious till death, which took place at 9.30 a.m. on Thursday. He was buried on Friday afternoon in the Presbyterian ground, the funeral service being read (in the absence through illness of his own pastor), by the Rev. T. F. Potts, who delivered an appropriate address at the grave. The cortege was the longest ever seen in Dungog, showing the great respect in which the deceased gentleman was held. No one in this community can ever forget poorDr. McKinlay, who abhorred all duplicity and every thing of a mean or underhand nature, who was himself so pure-hearted, sincere, and honour-able; whose deeds of kindness, benevolence, and liberality, have through a long life been conferred on those of all creeds and callings alike, and whose urbanity and courtly manners were ever an example to us all. His memory will be held in reverence by every one who was privileged to know him. He never married and has no relatives in the colony. Dungog, Nov. 16th, 1889.


 
Item: 161646
Surname: McQuade (obit.,)
First Name: Michael
Ship: -
Date: 29 August 1865
Place: -
Source: MM
Details: The late Michael McQuade, Our obituary of last week contained the demise of the above-named old and respected resident Mr M'Quade has resided in this town the greater part of his life-lime, consequently be was well known and respected By industry and perseverance he amassed considerable wealth, and at the time of his death was possessed of a largo amount of landed property in and around Windsor, and various parts of the county of Cumberland. His death was very sudden and unexpected Having retired to his rest on the evening of the 13 th instant, in his usual health, it was an awful announcement to his friends and relatives on the following morning, that he had departed this life during the night without apparently the least warning When sought for by his son Mr John M'Quade, he lay in the embrace of death with the bed clothes over him not the least disarranged He had apparently died without a struggle Although in his seventy fourth year, he was never known to require medical advice An inquest was held at his residence, when Dr Dowe stated in his evidence that he had known the deceased for twenty five years He was always heartv, and of a florid complexion He was of opinion that his death was caused by apoplexy. Mr M'Quade has loft two sons, Mr John M'Quade of the Commercial Hotel, Windsor, and Mr William McQuade of Woolloomooloo, who is at present in England


 
Item: 161648
Surname: Menzies (obit.,)
First Name: Archibald
Ship: -
Date: 24 December 1874
Place: San Francisco
Source: MM
Details: DEATH OF MR. ARCHIBALD MENZIES - Our numerous readers will join with us in the regret which we feel in having to record the death in San Francisco of the above gentleman, who, for many years resided in West Maitland. Mr. Menzies was well known as a lover of music and the drama, and frequently appeared before a Maitland audience on behalf of our charitable and benevolent institutions. We are informed by a gentleman who has received a letter conveying the above melancholy intelligence that Mr. Menzies last wish was that he might be remembered to all his old Maitland friends by whom he was so highly and deservedly esteemed


 
Item: 161651
Surname: Menzies (obit.,)
First Name: General Sir Charles
Ship: -
Date: October 1866
Place: East Hill House Hastings
Source: The Gentleman's Magazine and Historical Review, Vol. 2. p.554
Details: At East-hill Honse, Hastings, suddenly, aged 88, General Sir Charles Menzies, K.C.B., K.C.H., K.C.,and K.T.S., Col. Royal Marine Artillery, and formerly Aid-de-catnp to the Queen. The deceased was a scion of the ancient Scottish family of Menzies, or Mengues, as it was originally written, and was the son of Capt. Charles Meuzies, 71st Highlanders, by Sarah, dau. of Dr. Walter, of H adding, ton. He was born in 1783, and educated at Stirling. He received his commission as second Lient. in the Marines in 179S. He was attached to Lord Nelson's squadron off Boulogne, where he participated in all the desperate cutting-out affairs on the French coast against Bonaparte's flotilla, and was severely wounded iu Aug. 1S01. He commanded a detachment of marines, landed at Port Jackson, Sydney, during an insurrection of convicts in March, 1804, and was mainly instrumental in restoring order and tranquillity in the colony. In June, 1806, he was in one of the boats of the Minerva at the capture of five vessels, under Fort Finisterre, and in the July following, in a barge belonging to the Minerra, when fifty miles off where the frigate lay at anchor, captured, by boarding, the Spanish privateer, Huena .""!:', after a sharp conflict, the attack being planned by himself. He also com manded a boat at the capture of a Spanish gun-boatatCarril. Heled the marines at the storming of Fort Finisterre, being the first who surmounted the breach and planted the British colours on the rampart. For the distinguished courage and bravery displayed by him on this occasion he received a sword of honour from the Patriotic Fund at Lloyd's. He also served in boats at the capture of the Spanish vessel of war, San Josef, in the Bay of Arosa, where he landed and made prisoner the Spanish commodore, who delivered to him his sword. He commanded the Royal Marines at the capture of Fort Quardia; and was slightly wounded cutting-out the French corvette, Im Moidlc, from under a battery in Basque roads. He was also at the taking of Fort Cnmarinas, and gunboats from under its protection. During his services he was wounded in his right arm, which was amputated. From 183it to 1844, he commanded the Royal Marine Artillery. Sept. 4, 1831, he was nominated a Knight of Hanover, expressly for " gallant and meritorious services." From the King of Spain he received the order of Charles III., and was also Knight of the Tower and Sword of Portugal. In April, 1865, he was nominated a Knight Commander of the Bath. He became a General in 1857. He held a pension for distinguished sen-ices from Nov. 1846, to Nov. 1851, when he resigned it on appointment as Aid-de-camp to the Queen. He was appointed Colonel of the Koyal Marine Artillery in March, 1863. Sir Charles, who was a magistrate for the borough of Hastings, married, in 1817, Maria W ilhelmiua, only child of Robert Bryant, esq , M.D., Physician to H.R.H. William Henry, Duke of Gloucester, by whom he had issue four sons and two daughters


 
Item: 168022
Surname: Middleton (obit.,)
First Name: Cecil
Ship: -
Date: 12 August 1925
Place: Goulburn
Source: SMH
Details: DEATH OF MR. C. MIDDLETON. When the late Mr. Cecil Middleton joined the Sydney General Post Office as a telegraph operator, the staff consisting of but eleven men and six boys. Mr. Middleton died recently, within a year of his centenary, at Goulburn. Since his retirement from the service 19 years ago, Mr. Middleton had lived on the heights of West Goulburn. A studious man, Mr. Middleton was a son of the Rev. George Middleton. His literary possessions were most valuable and among them were some historical documents of great interest. Among these was an old copy of an extract from the Journal of Governor Macquarie. The original, in Macquaries own handwriting, is in the Mitchell Library. "This afternoon there anchored in Sydney Cove the ship Prince Regent, transport, commanded by Captain William Arden, with 100 male convicts from England, whence she sailed on October 8, 1819, touching at no intermediate ports, Mr. Hunter, R. N., being surgeon superintendent, and a squad of 31 soldiers of the 48thRegiment being commanded by Cornet Chambers, of the 21st Light Dragoons. The convicts and guard arrived in good health, none of either having died on the voyage. The Rev. Mr. George Middleton, assistant chaplain for the colony, the wife and three children of Cornet Chambers, and a Chelsea pensioner, have come out passengers in the ship." The entry is dated January 27, 1820. 'The "Sydney Gazette" of January 20, 1820, contains the following: "To be Assistant Chaplain. "His Royal Highness the Prince Regent, in the name and on behalf of his Majesty, having been graciously pleased to appoint the Rev. George Middleton, Clerk, now arrived by the Prince Regent, to be an assistant chaplain on the Colonial Establishment of New South Wales, his Excellency is pleased to order and direct that Mr. Middleton do henceforth perform duty at Sydney until he shall be permanently appointed to some other situation." (Signed) Macquarie. The letters patent were unfortunately lost in a flood at Raymond Terrace, on the Hunter River, many years after. The Rev. George Middleton later took temporary charge at Parramatta while the Rev. Samuel Marsden was away in New Zealand. In 1821 he was made incumbent of Newcastle, where he stayed till 1827. There is a memorial window In the Newcastle Cathedral erected by a son, Alexander Dillin Middleton in 1824 he married at Liverpool a Miss Rose, an English girl who came to the colony with her mother a few yours before. Eventually he settled at Morpeth, where Mr. Cecil Middleton was born on April29, 1846. The late Cecil Middleton was the youngest of a large family. Educated at Hinton, he had as schoolmates the late James Hogue and John See. In July, 1861, he joined the telegraph service at West Maitland, qualified as a junior operator, and joined the Sydney staff in 1863. Six months later he qualified as a senior. The telegraph department was a very unpretentious building. The station master was Mr. S. J. Watson, l ater superintendent of telephones. The office was in George-street ,opposite David Jones, and on the site of the George-street end of the present General Post Office. The department was under the Minister for Works, Mr. W. M. Arnold, who was later Speaker of the House of Assembly, and who was drowned in a flood in the Patterson River. The staff consisted of Edward Charles Cracknell, Superintendent; Phillip B. Walker, Inspector of lines and stations. - McAuliffe, clerk; - Muston, accountant, and his clerk, Jack Quodling; receiving officers, J. H. Miles and O. West; and the operators, W. Wilson, Wm. H. McGuire, and Cecil Middleton. One of the messengers was Mr. Burnett, who retired later as superintendent of mails. And every message to Sydney and suburbs was delivered by six messengers, who were mounted on ponies. After spending eighteen months in the Sydney office, Mr. Middleton was appointed telegraph master at Hay, and reached that town by proceeding by boat to Melbourne, thence by rail to Bendigo (Sandhurst), and then by Cobb and Co.'s coach to Hay. Here he opened the first telegraph office in that town. His next promotion was to Wagga, where he spent nine years. Wagga was then the centre of the southern racing world, and thousand-guinea cups were common trophies. In 1878 Mr. Middleton was appointed to Goulburn. His new office comprised a small cottage situated where the present Court-house now stands, but three years later the new building, the present post and telegraph office in that city, was opened. Mr. Middleton was in charge for 25 years, and on his retirement was honoured by the citizens. He had always taken a keen interest in local affairs. He was connected with the Goulburn Club, the Mechanics' institute, the Tirranna Race Club, and was for years a trustee of the Government Savings Bank. A Freetmason, he died on the 44th anniversary of his initiation to Lodge Australia. He is survived by two sons and a daughter, Messrs. Seymour Arnold Middleton and Selwyn Seymour Middleton, of Sydney; and Mrs. Ewan Fraser, well known in her younger days as Jessie Middleton, a noted musician. She now resides in England.


 
Item: 183810
Surname: Moore (obit)
First Name: Thomas Henry
Ship: -
Date: 1 August 1823
Place: Singleton
Source: The Maitland Daily Mercury
Details: A man well known in the business and commercial life of Singleton in the eighties and nineties in the person of Mr. Thomas Henry Moore, died in a private hospital in Summer Hill near Sydney. He was the only son of Mr. James Moore, founder of the well known firm of Messrs James Moore and Co., Singleton. Death followed a paralytic seizure. The deceased, who was born in Singleton was in his 76 year and for a number of years managed the business. He was an enterprising business man and a public spirited citizen. Deceased ight be regarded as the pioneer of the butter industry in Singleton district, which has now become so important as he started the first factory in Singleton, also creameries in various parts of the district. Deceased married Miss Jane Anderson, sister of Messrs. R. and Mel Anderson of Singleton


 
Item: 168628
Surname: Morisset (obit.,)
First Name: James Thomas
Ship: -
Date: 12 October 1852
Place: Bathurst
Source: Sydney Morning Herald
Details: The late Colonel Morisset entered the army by purchase, in February, 1798, whilst only a youth of sixteen, and held the rank of lieutenant up to the year 1802, a considerable portion of the intervening period being spent in India and Egypt, where he was actively employed in several engagements. In the latter year he obtained permission to leave India in consequence of an attack of sickness, and returned to England ; but his health having been restored, he obtained a captain s commission by purchase, in the 48th regiment, with which he shipped for the Peninsula, and took part in some of the hardest fought battles of the time, under the command of Sir Arthur Wellesley. On the field of Albuera he received a severe sword wound in the head, which continued a source of great suffering and inconvenience to the day of his death. Returning to England at the declaration of peace in the year 1814, he remained in a state of in- action until 1817, when his regiment was ordered to this colony. Until 1825 he was employed as Commandant at Newcastle and in the district of Bathurst, and whilst occupying these posts, elicited the approval of the Government by his conduct. At the latter period he obtained leave to return to the mother country, and on the occasion of his departure received a cordial acknowledgment of the value of his services through the Governor s Private Secretary. Whilst at home he received the arduous appointment of civil and military Commandant of the penal settlement of Norfolk Island; but some unforeseen obstacles to his installation having occurred, which rendered a reference to the Imperial Government indispensable, he was appointed Principal Superintendent of Police, and continued to hold the situation until 1839, when he received orders to proceed to Norfolk Island, where he remained five years. In 1834 he disposed of his commission in the army, and four years afterwards became police magistrate of Bathurst- was subsequently appointed commissioner of insolvent estates, and for a short period officiated as commissioner of the Court of Requests. The first two appointments he retained to the period of his decease. To prove that his connection with the army was one of hard service, it is only necessary to mention the following engagements, in all of which he fought :-Toulouse, Orthes, Nive, Vittoria, Albuera, Busaco, and Talavera, these historical names being inscribed upon a medal which he held in token of his services. He also held an Egyptiac medal, but the names of the battles in which he took part whilst in that country are not specified. The proposition, therefore, with which this notice is commenced -that the late police magistrate of Bathurst had served his country with fidelity -and during the best years of a long life- time is sufficiently proved ; and after a perusal of the above naked facts, few will deny that he is worthy of favourable remembrance


 
Item: 168814
Surname: Morley (obit.,)
First Name: John
Ship: -
Date: 28 February 1899
Place: Newcastle
Source: Evening News
Details: Another old identity named John Morley died at Islington last week. He was born in 1836 in the Newcastle district where he resided the greater part of his life. He married in 1854 and had seven sons and four daughters of whom three daughters survive. Of grandchildren, there are twenty one living


 
Item: 173920
Surname: Moroney (obit.,)
First Name: Denis (Dennis)
Ship: -
Date: 21 July 1902
Place: Swan Street Hamilton
Source: NMH
Details: Early on Saturday morning Mr. Dennis Moroney a very old resident of the district died at the residence of his son. The deceased gentleman was well known in the Maitland, Cooranbong and Newcastle districts during the past fifty years. He was born in Cork Ireland on 4 March 1805 and was therefore in his ninety eight year. He left Ireland towards the end of the year 1851 and arrived in NSW in the beginning of the following year. He came out here with the intention of engagin in the farming industry and with his wife settled in West Maitland. He worked there for a little while while as a saddler after which having a knowledge of milling he entered into that business. After that he took up a farm at Newport near Cooranbong where he remained for about ten years and was very successfull. Leaving Newport he came to Newcastle where he resided alternatively with his sons Michael and John Moroney. In the year 1861 Mr. Moroneys wife died at Newport and her remains were buried at Cooranbong. 26 years afterwards the remains were re interred in the Sangate cemetery.


 
Item: 161634
Surname: Nowland (obit.,)
First Name: John James
Ship: -
Date: 10 April 1930
Place: -
Source: SMH
Details: OBITUARY - The death has occurred after a long illness of Mr. John James Nowland, a member of one of the oldest families In New South Wales, and one who played a prominent part in open- ing up the New England and north-west dis- tricts. His great-grandfather. Michael Now- land, came to Australia with Governor Gidley King, the two being personal friends, and was appointed superintendent of convicts. A son, Mr. William Nowland, took up country near Armidale, and later the family owned a sta- tion on Liverpool Plains and the greater portion of Warrah Ridge. Mr. William Now- land was the first man to drive a vehicle over the Liverpool Range, a feat of no mean achievement in view of the fact that a track had to be cut for a great part of the way. After disposing of his interest in Warrah Ridge, Mr. J. J. Nowland followed pastoral pursuits in Queensland until he was over- taken by the illness which led to his death. In 1883 he married Miss Emily Smith, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Smith, of Dungog. Mrs. Nowland and four sons and three daughters survive.


 
Item: 174765
Surname: Nunn (obit.,)
First Name: Lieut-Col James Winniett (Major James Winniett)
Ship: -
Date: 2 February 1847
Place: Meerut
Source: Gentleman s Magazine
Details: Obituary - At Meerut, Lieut-Col James Winniett Nunn, of the 80th Foot. He entered the service as Ensign April 7 1804; was presented to a Lieutenancy 1805; to a Captaincy 1810; a brevet Majority 1830; and to a Lieut-Colonelcy 1844. He served with much distinction in Egypt, and was present at the capture of Genoa in 1814. His last services were with his regiment, the 80th Foot, during the Sutlej campaign.


 
Item: 161633
Surname: O'Gorman (obit.,)
First Name: Monsignor
Ship: -
Date: 20 November 1935
Place: West Maitland
Source: SMH
Details: Monsignor O'Gorman, parish priest at East Maitland since 1909, died this morning. He was 81 years of age, and was born at Kilkenny (Ireland), ordained at Rome in 1884, and arrived in Maitland 51 years ago. Except for three years at Barcaldine, in Queens- land, all his priesthood had been served in Maitland diocese. He had been stationed at Dungog and Newcastle


 
Item: 183772
Surname: Osmond (obit)
First Name: George
Ship: -
Date: 23 February 1932
Place: From Dungog
Source: The Richmond River Herald
Details: Mr. George Osmond, 92, one of the pioneers of Dungog district, who died last week, had lived for 80 years in the Paterson and Dungog districts. His father worked on Tocal Station, when wages were 1 pound per week and a hut to live in and it was whilst at Tocal that the deceased first learnt to ride. He was taught by that great horseman Frederick Ward, better known as Thunderbolt. Ward was a good master and he a good pupil. The late Mr. Osmond was noted as an expert horseman. Furthermore he would never hear a word said against Ward, who he always maintained was a good man. Subsequently deceased went on the land and then purchased a bullock team and commenced carrying provisions from Morpeth to the Western and North western towns. He married Fanny, the daughter of Timothy Taylor of Cox s creek who died 25 years previously. His father, aged 102 died in 1915


 
Item: 164115
Surname: Pender (obit.,)
First Name: John Wiltshire
Ship: -
Date: 14 March 1917
Place: West Maitland
Source: SMH
Details: The death of Mr. J.W. Pender of West Maitland was announced a few days ago. A quarter of a century since, when the Plymouth Rock fowls were first favourites with fanciers, Mr. Pender was one of the leading breeders and exhibitors. Many high class specimens were imported by him from England and America, the progeny usually securing honours at the Sydney and Melbourne shows



<<  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  >>