Richard Siddons - Sydney Harbour Pilot
Richard Siddons arrived in Australia in 1804 aboard the English whaler Alexander. He led an adventurous life as master of ships in the sealing and sandalwood trade.
He became master of the King George at the end of 1807 and brought cargoes of sandalwood, seal oil and seal furs to Port Jackson.
The Campbell MacquarieIn Sydney, Siddons was employed as Captain of the Campbell Macquarie by ship owner Joseph Underwood. Underwood had purchased the Campbell Macquarie in Calcutta. In 1811 and in 1812 Richard Siddons returned to India on the Campbell Macquarie and later in 1812 arrived in Port Jackson with prisoners and a cargo of spirits. Also on board was a soldier of the Dragoons, Captain Locjyer.
Soon after he again set out on the Campbell Macquarie on a sealing voyage to the South seas. They called at Kangaroo Island and collected seal skins and salt and then headed for Macquarie Island. The area was treacherous, and the seas wild when on a foggy night in June 1812 the first mate James Kelly failed to notice how dangerously close the ship was to the shoreline. When the alarm was finally raised, Captain Siddons called all hands to deck, however attempts to set sails failed and the ship struck rocks.
Richard Siddons tried to anchor the ship but the anchors dragged and the ship began taking water. That night they launched their lifeboats in gale force winds and luckily made it to shore where the next day they began salvaging efforts, rowing through the dangerous surf again and again. They continued to toil for a fortnight and built a hut for storage during this time. Some of their efforts were doomed however as high tides washed some of the precious water supplies and seal skins out to sea where they were destroyed. While they awaited rescue the crew foraged for food, killed more seals and dried the skins. They probably made shelters and clothes for themselves but conditions were harsh and at least four of the castaways died. Twelve were rescued by the Perseverance, a ship that had arrived at Macquarie Island to collect a gang of sealers in October of 1812. Underwood sent the ship Elizabeth and Mary to the Island to rescue the remaining crew.
FamilyIn 1816 Richard Siddons married Jane Powell at St. Phillips in Sydney. The following children were born to Richard and Jane Siddons:
Ann Jane Siddons 1817 - 1897
Augusta Maria Siddons 1820 - 1861
Joseph Richard Siddons 1823 - 1891
Mary Elizabeth Siddons 1825 - ?
Jane Siddons 1827 - 1912
Isabella Siddons 1829 - 1921
Thomas Siddons 1832 - ?
Elizabeth Siddons 1834 - ?
Ellen Siddons 1836 - 1910
Maria Augusta Siddons 1839 - 1912
Sophia Siddons 1842 - 1843
In 1823 he applied for the position of harbour pilot in Sydney.
Land GrantIn 1824 Richard Siddons received a 640 acre grant of land at the Hunter river. The boundary commenced at the South West corner of Graham's Farm.
Assigned Convict ServantsThree convict servants were at his grant in 1828 - Jeremiah Burnes and Darby Burnes (Byrnes) who had arrived on the Ann and Amelia in 1825 and John Kelso arrived on the Medina. Darby married Mary Duffy in Maitland in 1837. They were described as living at 'Hollow Tree' Newcastle and Hunter River.
Employed as Pilot at SydneyThe Siddons family did not reside at the Hunter River property as Richard continued his position as harbour pilot in Sydney. In 1830 as a Mr. Furneraux (or Furner) was renting his estate.
In 1830 while working as Pilot (Sydney) Richard Siddon's boat was upset forcing him to swim for over 1/2 an hour to reach shore. He was luckier than his crew however, one of whom drowned. In 1832 he resigned from this position due to ill health.
He was then employed as Superintendent of the Light House at South Head a position he retained for several years.
DeathRichard became unwell and sold his land at Hunter River. He died in Sydney in 1846.
His son Joseph Siddons took over duties as Light House keeper at the Macquarie Lighthouse and remained there until 1897.
Joseph Siddons married Frances Hannah, the fifth daughter of Rev. Lancelot Threlkeld on 6th October 1847, at Bathurst Street, Sydney.