The Queen Victoria Inn
had previously been the proprietor of the Greyhound Inn
In 1838 he built the sandstone Queen Victoria Inn at Jerry's Plains.
, brother of Richard took over the licence in June 1840.
Edward Alcorn took out a license for the Caledonian Hotel in Singleton in April 1853.
The settlers had long complained about the state of the roads in the district and in 1842 a communication was forwarded to the Governor setting out an idea for a better road. However it seems that Richard Alcorn was not prepared to wait for government funds. By May 1842 the Hunter River Gazette recorded that the Messrs. Alcorn had not only marked but cleared a road between Jerry's Plains and Patrick's Plains avoiding the high stony ridges and valleys the previous track had passed through. There was said to be always a plentiful supply of grass and water by this line. The new road would save five miles between Jerry's plains and Patrick's Plains and fifteen to Maitland.
In 1842 James Ham was issued the publican's licence for the Queen Victoria.
Sir Charles Fitzroy passed through Jerry's Plains in 1847 and Richard Alcorn was expecting to entertain the Governor before he moved on to Merton
. However Sir Charles made only a very short stay of about ten minutes at Alcorn's Inn, the horses of the party being held at the door. He then proceeded to the Police Barracks where he dined with Lieutenant Gall
. Richard Alcorn had made expensive preparations for his Excellency's reception and was disappointed at missing the honor of entertaining him 
In 1848 Richard Alcorn suffered a loss of part of his flock of sheep in a remarkable storm that hit Jerry's Plains leaving huge hailstones that remained unthawed for several days despite the heat. Thirty of Alcorn's sheep were killed when when lighting struck them during the storm. They were found laying altogether in the space of a few yards, their 'bodies much discoloured'. 
Richard Alcorn remained licensee of the Inn until the early 1850's.
Death of Richard Alcorn
Richard Alcorn died in 1879. His obituary was printed in the Maitland Mercury........
The bereavement for the late Mr. Richard Hobden had scarcely passed away before I am called upon to notice the death of a much older colonist, in the loss the district has sustained in the death of Mr. Richard Alcorn, who died at his residence, Oakleigh, on the morning of the 3rd January, instant, aged 78 years. With your kind permission I must beg a small space in your valuable paper for the following facts in relation to the deceased's long life in this colony, of over seventy-four years.
In 1826 Richard Alcorn was married by Rev. Mr. Marsden (the father of the present Bishop of Bathurst), to Miss Gulledge, in the old church. The cattle belonging to the family increased so rapidly that it was thought to be time to push out for 'pastures new,' and a severe drought was raging also. So Mr. Alcorn, Mr. Loder (the father of Mr. Loder of Abbey Green, Singleton), Mr. Singleton (whom Singleton is named after), and others - all young men of a daring and enterprising spirit - pushed on in a northerly direction, and crossed the Bulga Range in 1826.
No pen can describe the toil and hardship this little band of pioneers had to undergo, in working their way through the impassable scrub, over rivers, up mountains, and in en- counters with the blacks but they were equal to the task, and succeeded. They were delighted to see, from off a spur of the Bulga, the splendid plains in the valley of the Hunter. Simple circumstances gave names to the various discovered places-Patrick's Plains being discovered on Patrick's Day ; Jerry's Plains, from the circumstance of one of their faithful servants Jeremiah losing his thumb through the bursting of a pistol loaded to obtain fire. And mortification setting in, he died, and was buried in the paddock opposite the post office here.
Each one of these pioneers received a grant of land from Governor Darling, at places chosen by themselves. Mr. Alcorn taking his up on Glennie's Creek.
Mr. Alcorn often graphically described his overland trip, to Sydney in the years '26 and '27, taking in his cattle for sale, and to bring out necessary supplies. On one occasion Mr. John Browne, of Macquarie Place, Singleton, (father of our worthy member), and himself, were as usual coming out, driving their old faithful pack-bullock before them, they on foot, when they overtook on the Bulga Mr. John Duff, struggling up the mountain, carrying a half chest of tea on his back, with other things, and his servant struggling under a load of sugar and other necessaries. Those who were not fortunate to have a pack bullock had then to carry their household necessaries out in this manner. Horses were but few, and too valuable to ride. All cattle were herded, and drove to Sydney, on foot, in those days. In fact a man on horseback, they said, would frighten them away.
Mr. Alcorn sold his estate at Glennie's Creek, and bought one at Jerry's Plains, and built a large stone house, which has been used as an hotel ever since. He was ever a good consistent member of the Anglican Church, helping other denominations at the same time, and was a churchwarden of St. James' Church here for over thirty years. He always gave freely of his cash, time, or labour for the good of his Church. He was never known to miss divine service in his Church for thirty years, considering it his first duty to be there to thank God for the great kindness vouchsafed to him through his many dangers. A pattern to the rising generation. Thus died this good old man, full of years, full in his faith, full of honors won in subduing the wild land in his adopted country- and a sheaf fully ripe for his Master's farm. The whole of his family, three sons and four daughters (some of these grandmothers), were present at his last earthly rites. It is the wish of your correspondent that his posterity may always consider their noble sire's example, and go thou and do like- wise
. Jerry's Plains, January 7, 1879. 
 Maitland Mercury 15 April 1843
 Maitland Mercury 10 February 1847
 Maitland Mercury 18 October1848
 Maitland Mercury 11 January 1879