Thomas Balden Cox was proprietor in the years 1839 - 1840.
The 640 acre property was advertised for sale in January 1841. The substantially built brick house was rented out for£60 per annum by the proprietor and sub let for £100 to the innkeeper. There were extensive out houses and a stable and fenced paddock with permanent fresh water.
Thomas Cox moved from the New Inn to the Barley Mow at Singleton in 1841 and to The Forbes Hotel in Singleton in 1843 which place he refurbished soon after. He was granted a publican's licence for the Queen Victoria Inn in Day Street, East Maitland in 1847.
Thomas B. Cox returned to Black Creek by 1848 where he was granted the licence for the Bush Tavern in 1848. He died at the Bush Tavern in 1854 aged 62.
After 1840 the New Inn was re-named The Red House.
He and his wife were held up by bushrangers there in February. The Maitland Mercury reported the incident: - On Saturday last a fellow, well armed, entered the house of Mark Green, known as the Old Red House, on the old road to Black Creek, and having bailed up Mr. and Mrs. Green he proceeded to plunder the premises. He took away with him a gun two pistols a quantity of Mr. Green's wearing apparel and all the money he could find in the house. The bushranger was later wounded and captured not far from the Inn when he attempted to rob Mr. Crawford.
Mark Pewter arrived on the convict ship Katherine Stewart Forbes in 1830 and received a ticket of leave in 1838. He ran The Red House which was not licensed between the years 1844 and 1846. He provided accommodation, paddocks and stockyards. Mark Pewter having entered upon the above premises begs to inform parties travelling that road that they will meet with good accommodation at reasonable charges. Teams can have the advantage of paddocks and stockyard at the under mentioned charges: Fat Cattle 1 1/2d per night Working bullocks 2d per night Horses 3d per night
Mark Pewter was granted a Hawkers License in 1846
Notes and Links
1). In 1846 Ralph Martin was an Innkeeper at Armidale