Notes on the Origins and Locations of Place Names Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley, Liverpool Plains,
New South Wales
Can't Find What You're Looking For? Try a Search from the Box below:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y
Hacking Point/ Island - Early name for Nobbys. Named by Lieutenant Shortland in 1797 after Quartermaster Hacking of H.M.S. Sirius
Hall's Creek - Co. Brisbane; flows into the Goulburn river
Hall's Hill - steep hill near the junction of the Dungog and Gloucester roads named after Charles Hall superintendent of Australian Agricultural Co.
Halliday's Point - Co. Gloucester, a sandy beach lying about half way betwen Cape Hawke on the S and Farquhar inlet on the N. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Hallsborough - Maitland - House of William Hall a Waterloo veteran of Maitland
Halton - Co. Durham 160 miles N of Sydney. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Halton Estate - Allyn River
Hambledon Hill - Singleton district. Various owners - Henry Nowland, Mr. Dines, Augustus Hooke, Mr. Dunster.
Hamilton - Suburb of Newcastle. Named after the residence of William M. Carlyle Secretary of the A.A. Company which was named after Edward Hamilton, Governor of the A.A. Company 1856 - 98. Previously known as Pittown and The Borehole.
Hampton Estate - Left bank of Cockle Creek. Argenton, Lake Macquarie
Hampton Park - Jerry's Plains. Estate belonging to Peter Duff in 1838
Hams Beach - Caves Beach - named after William Henry Ham, first resident
Hanbury - early name for Waratah. Named by Thomas Grove after his birthplace in Staffordshire England.
Hanging Rock - Gold fields near Nundle. Land originally taken up by Nathan Burrows in 1848. Co. Parry, situated on the Oakenville Creek, the rivers Peel Barnet, and Manning taking their rise in the surrounding mountains. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Hanging Rock Creek - Co. Parry - a small auriferous eastern tirbutary of the upper end of the Peel River rising in the western slope of the Australian Alps and flowing into the main stream between Nundle and Dungowany. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Hanging Rock - Co. Northumberland - a remarkable block of red sandstone on the bank of the Wollombi Brook No. of Mount Colabeen. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Hanley's Creek - North of Dungog
Hannan Street Maitland - Named after John Hannan
Maitland Hannan House
Happy Flat - Hamilton from Steel Street to Turner Street Happy Valley - Co. Parry - an auriferous gully lying between Wallabadah and Hanging Rock
Harben Vale - in the Co. of Brisbane on Page's river 4 1/2 miles from Murrurundi. Estate of William Henry Warland
Hardwick Range - Liverpool Plains
Hardys Hill - Name given to the hill at Speers Point which was the site of an old council quarry
Harrowby Estate - Wollombi Brook. A grant to John Tremayne Rodd (see Dangar's Map)
Hartfell - formerly known as the Gunnedah run owned by Johnston at Gunnedah
Harthill Farm - property of Rev. J.H. Garven near Maitland
Hatfield Park - farm 4 miles from Dungog
Hat Hill - Co. Northumberland. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Hathorn's River - flows into Carrington River (See Dangar's map)
Hawke Cape - Co. Gloucester - a rocky promontory 16 miles to the N. of Sugarloaf Point. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Hawke Cape - Settlement. Co. Gloucester - lies on the Maclan and Wollombi Rivers on Lake Wallis. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Hawkes Nest - Co. Durham - 148 miles N Sydney. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Haydonton - a private town situated in Co. Brisbane across the Page River from the town of Murrurundi. See Thomas Haydon
Heatherbrae - Suburb of Port Stephens near Raymond Terrace
Heaton - Cessnock district
Heaton's Gap - also known as Brunkerville Gap or The Gap - a pass over the Watagan Mountains
Heatonville - a timber getting settlement south of The Gap now known as Freeman's Waterholes
Hecknadiiey - Aboriginal name for the pass over the Liverpool Ranges
Hebburn - After a suburb of Newcastle on Tyne
Hebden - Singleton district
Heddon - a parish in Co. Northumberland bounded on the N. by Gosforth; S. by Stanford; E. by Maitland and Strockrington and W. by Allandale.
Heddon Greta - village established near a coal mine
Hexham - Newcastle suburb. Grant to Edward Sparke in 1820's. Situated Co. Northumberland half way between Newcastle and Maitland. Named after market town of Hexham, England
Hexham Swamp (Aboriginal name Burraghihnbihng) - Territory of the Pambalong or Big Swamp Tribe. - A large tract of marshy land between Hexham and Minmi - Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Hide's Creek - Co. Parry - a small auriferous tributary of the Peel River joining it at Bowling Alley Point diggings. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Highgate - Barnsley - early subdivision c. 1880
High Street, Newcastle - Lieut. Charles Jeffreys of the brig Kangaroo produced a survey map in 1816 naming the one street in the Coal River settlement as High St. This later became Watt St.
Higham Road - Co. Northumberland. A township 4 miles from Waratah. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Hillrock - estate 8 miles up the Rouchel Brook
Hillsborough - Estate of Beresford Hudson - Hunter River near Maitland
Hillsborough - Named after an early landholder of Lambton Dr. John James Hill. Situated at Lake Macquarie
Hillsend Farm - Also known as Greig's Farm. Upper Hunter
Hillside - property north of Dungog
Hinnes Craigs - Gloucester
Hinton - Co. Durham, parish of Hinton at the junction of Paterson and Hunter Rivers and to the S of the Mount Royal ranges. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Hinton Estate - Adjoining the Bowthorne Estate. A grant of 640 acres to Robert Coram Dillon
Hobby Hill - situated near Hunter River downriver from Maitland - see Barrallier's 1801 map
Hoddle - Mountain situated in the district of Liverpool Plains between the Rivers Peel and Turrabeile
Hogg Island - (Former) Island in the Paterson River
Holdsworthy Downs - Situated just above the confluence of the Dartbrook with Kingdon Ponds in Co. Brisbane (See Dangar's map). About a mile to the W. of Scone
Holkham/ Holkam - In the county of Brisbane on the Hunter River 5 miles from Scone. Estate of Henry Dangar
Hollow Tree Farm - Bounded on the land belonging to Siddons and Peppercorn 1841. Charles Croaker. See Hunter Valley Settler Map1. Subdivison in 1892 adjoined Raymond Terrace Racecourse
Holmesville - after a resident, a miner Joseph Holmes
Homebush - Estate of John Field
Honeysuckle Point - name given to area adjacent to Newcastle Harbour because of native plant resembling honeysuckle flower
Hookanvil Creek - Vicinity of Hanging Rock. Also known as Ogunbil Creek, Oakey Creek, Oakenville Creek and Hanging Rock Creek.
Hope Cottage - near the Long Bridge Maitland
Hopewell Cottage - Cottage on the Bowthorne Estate
Horning Creek - Co. Northumberland - a small tributary of the estuary of the Mangrove Creek. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Horseshoe Beach - beach at Newcastle
Horton - Parish in Co. Gloucester bounded on the North by Thalaba; S. by Wilmot; E. by Karuah and W. by the Williams River.
Horton Park - Muswellbrook district
Howe's Valley - After John Howe, who, with Benjamin Singleton discovered Patrick Plains on 17 March 1820.
Howick - a parish in Co. Durham bounded on the W. by Wynn; S. by the Hunter River and E. by Ravensworth.
Humumba - Run belonging to Edward and George Rouse at Liverpool Plains
Hungry Flat - Co. Northumberland. A flat on the Great North Road from Sydney to Maitland at Mangrove Creek. See Dixon's map
Hungry Hill - Paterson
Hunniford lane, Newcastle - Named after a contractor of that name.
Hunter's Hill - Estate of Timothy Nowlan. Later known as Eelah
Hunter Range - a branch of the Blue Mountain Range separating the tributaries of the Hawkesbury from those of the Hunter.
Hunter's River - Named after Governor John Hunter by Lieut. John Shortland. For many years known as the Coal River. (Aboriginal name Coquun; Myan or Coonanbarra) Also Gingamboon.
Hunter Street, Newcastle - previously known as Blane Street.
Huthfield - Mulberry Creek