Notes on the Origins and Locations of Place Names
Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley, Liverpool Plains,
New South Wales
Can't Find What You're Looking For? Try a Search from the Box below:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y
Eagleton - Estate of Colonel William Snodgrass - situated Co. Gloucester on the Williams River. 9 miles from Raymond Terrace
Early's Cottages - Devonshire Street Maitland. Henry Early
Ebeneza - Estate/ coal mine of Rev. Threlkeld at Toronto. Modern day Coal Point.
Eccleston - After a place near Chester, England. Located on the Allyn River. Parish of Avenal.
Edden Park - Early name for Pulbah Island named in 1919 in honour of Minister for Mines.
Edenville - early name for Kearsley
Edith Breaker - Co. Gloucester. Rocky islet, awash, lying directly on the line of coasters' track when passing between Seal Rocks and the mainland.Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Edgeworth - Named after Sir T.W. Edgeworth-David. Known as Cocked Hat Creek until 1885
Edinglassie - Estate of George Forbes. Kamilaroi aboriginal name Malgoorieyn
Edmunds Bay - Toronto / Blackalls Park . Named after Edmund Chapman
Eelah Estate - Previously Hunter's Hill - Settler Timothy Nowlan
Egerton Hills - Also Edgerton. At the junction of Hunter and Williams River near Raymond Terrace (see Barrallier's 1801 map) Named for the Duke of Bridgewater.
Eildon Hall Farm - 1500 acres - 8 miles from Maitland
Elderslie - Named by T.C. Harrington, Assistant Colonial Secretary 1834, after a village in Scotland. Singleton district
Eldon - Parish in Co. Gloucester bound on the N. by Thornton; S by Stockton; E by Stowell and W. by the Williams and Hunter Rivers
Eldon Estate - Estate and residence of Peter Sinclair - Hunter River
Eleebana - Beauty (aboriginal meaning). Lake Macquarie
Elizabeth Island - Port Stephens. Named by Governor Macquarie after his wife Elizabeth
Ellalong - A swampy place (aboriginal meaning). Robert Crawford's land grant. Co. Northumberland. Cessnock district
Ellalong Creek - a small eastern tributary of the Wollombi Brook
Ellalong Lagoon - situated Co. Northumberland near the source of the Wollombi brook. A small swampy lake into which the Quarrybylong Creek drains. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Ellen Vale Estate - Estate of John Milson, Wollombi
Ellerslie Estate - Estate of Richard King - Jerry's Plains
Ellerston Estate - Estate of H.C. Sempill - Upper Hunter
Ellis - A parish in Co. Brisbane bounded on the S. by Clanricarde; E by the Hunter River and N. by Strathearne
Ellulang Estate - 13 miles from Maitland.
Elm's Hall Estate - Upper Paterson
Elmswood - estate at Pages River
Elrington - Cessnock district
Ena Creek - Co. Gwydir, a western tributary of the Macintyre River flowing through scrubby pastoral country.
Engheim - Estate of Charles Ferdinand Hamilton Smith
Erangeroo - Co. Parry, a high peak of the Peel Range, lying 5 miles E of the township of Carrol. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Eraring - That which gleams or glitters (aboriginal meaning). Percy Simpson's grant of 7th April 1838 (Coorumbung Parish) covered Eraring. Yererung on Henry Dangar's 1828 map
Erina - a creek in Co. Northumberland; flows into Brisbane Water at the town of East Gosford
Erringi - or Erringhi. Aboriginal name for Clarencetown. Place of the black ducks
Eskdale - Land granted to Walter Scott - Williams River. Situated on the opposite bank to Irrawang
Estelville - Old name for Cameron Park
Estellville - On Map of Young Wallsend
Eulengo - Estate of E. Doyle at Jerry's Plains
Euroka - district of Liverpool Plains; station of E.B. Cornish
Evelien - Area of Cardiff South (c. 1904)
Ewbank - located at Singleton. Bank manager's residence
Eyeball Reach - Estate of William Peppercorn