Home   Convict Ships   Hints   Sources

<<  Previous  1  2  
# Surname First Name Ship Date Place Source
             
173770 Cottage Creek Cemetery - - 4 March 1902 Newcastle NMH
 
  When the cemeteries were first opened Cottage Bridge was quite in the bush, and by the side of Throsby Creek, under the forst trees, through which could be obtained a glimpse of the distant harbour, the first of the dead were laid to rest. Half a century makes a great change in a city. In the years which have intervened, the increasing population has caused an expansion of the town, so that what once was a quiet graveyard in the bush is now well within the lmits of the city and fronts the main thoroughfare. Today these abodes of the dead present a mournful appearance, and a general air of neglect pervades the place . In the Roman Catholic portion, which lies nearest the city, the fence has been partially destroyed and a track made by trespassers from Hunter St. to the railway line. Amid the graves of the dead irreverent hands have thrown refuse of varous descriptions while weeds and a mass of tanled unkempt grass has obliterated all marks of the paths which formerly existed there. Many of the stones have fallen down, while the fences enclosing the graves are rotting away and in some instances have entirely disappeared. Some of the headstones remain in a fair state of preservation, while others have so far fretted away that the inscriptions are illegible. Here and there a few words may be deciphered and on one in particular which must have been a fine stone in its day, there can be traced the words Memory of 99th regt, showing that beneath it there rests the mortal remains of one of the soldier belonging to the regiment quartered there in olden times. Another stone close by bears tribute to the memory of Sgt. McCormick. All but the name has disappeared but very old residents will recall in the name mentioned another old soldier whose fortunes were linked with Newcastle in the early days. One of the oldest stones in the cemetery is that which marks the resting place of Corporal George Caldwell of the Mounted Police, who died in 1845, and in spite of its age it is in good state of preservation. Here as elsewhere one meets with some quaint epitaphs, a well preserved stone bearing the following inscription - Erected by William and Ann Horan to the memory of their brother Denis Horan of Tipperary, Ireland who died 7 April 1847 aged 42 years. - Remember man, as thou pass by, As thou art now, so once was I, As I am now, so thou shalt be, Remember man and pray for me. In a quiet corner of the graveyard there is a stone that bears tribute to the scholars of St. Marys School. The inscription reads Pray for the Soul of Mary Sullivan of Killarney Ireland who died March 7 1878. This stone was erected by the scholars of St. Marys School. Near the dividing fence which separates the Presbyterian from the Roman Catholic portions there is a grave which although of comparatively recent date is of pathetic interest. The stone bears, among others the inscription - To the memory of Richard Cavender who died at the Palmer River Goldfields 1876 aged 28..A paling fence divides the Roman Catholice ground from the Presbyterian, When the land was first dedicated it was granted absolutely to St. Andrews, then the Presbyterian Church in the town. Trustees were appointed but these are all long since dead and the cemetery is at present controlled by Alderman D. Miller on behalf of St. Andrews. Although granted exclusively to the Presbyterian people others were buries there, but whom the first interment was made no one seems able to tell. The ground is in much better order than the one adjoining, but nevertheless bears unmistakable evidences of neglect. The paths are fairly well defined and the fences almost intact, while the general appearance is greatly improved by a few large trees, which throw a kindly shade over the graves. But as in other instances, individual graves are suffering from want of attention. It is over 20 years since the last interment was made there and it may be that the relatives of the deceased are also dead or resident in other places. One of the oldest graves dates back to 1847, the stone bearing the simple inscription - Thomas Bruce, died April 1846 aged 42 years. Among those buried in the 50s was Captain Andrew Drysdale a well known intercolonial shipmaster in his day. He died in port in 1852 and the stone which marks the grave may be seen from the footpath. Very close by lie the remains of another sailor, who was drowned in the harbour of New Years Even 1863. The inscription on the stone which is a fine one, tells that the memorial was erected to the memory of David Murray, second mate of the barque Dudbrook, by his brother and shipmates by whom he was highly respected. The incident marks a spirit which does not exist in the merchant marine today among officers and men of deep water vessels. Among those who passed away in the sixties was Mr. William Henderson, whose stone bears the following inscription - Erected as a measure of grateful respect by James and Alexander Brown of Minmi. Another stone fast falling down is that which denotes the burial place of Jane and John Wood who passed away respectively in 1868 and 1867 and close by a broken column marks the grave of Mr. Archibald Rodgers who was the founder of the business carried on by his son Alderman Rodgers and latterly by his grandsons Messrs Rodgers Bros., Mr. Archibald rodgers who died in 1870 was practically the first man to start a foundry in the city. There are many graves which cannot be identified in several cases the headstone have fallen, others have no distinguishing mark, some of th graves being merely fenced in. Even iron railings have been torn away from some of the graves and as no trace of the iron remains vandalism rather than decay is suggested. Nature has done her work and from among the weeds there is growing a wonderful profusion of beautiful lillies planted years ago by some reverent hand, and blooming still with only nature as a gardener. The Wesleyan Cemetery is a considerable distance away, the plot lying between the railway line and the road which crosses the high level bridge. What its appearance was like years ago it is hard to imagine, but old residents tell gruesome stories of interments there at which the coffin floated in water and had to be forced down with poles while the graves were filled in. A part of the land was continuous to a swmap, but it is hard to define the boundaries now. A very small piece remains enclosed with a ricketty fence and in the enclosure there are all that remains of five graves. On one of these is an inscription dating back to 1860 but the others are nameless. It is a debatable point whether some portion has not already been built upon and, as a matter of fact, its existence as one of Newcastles earliest cemeteries is almost forgotten. All three cemeteries have now been closed many years, and the question arises as to whether it is not advisable to remove the remains to Sandgate and utilise the land for other purposes. The desolate and neglected appearance of all three suggest that the time has come for their removal...
 
173939 Cottage Creek History - - 29 March 1952 Newcastle NMH
 
  The Railway Inn down by Cottage Creek was erected and named when surveyors were making their calculations for the line. The first hotel at the West End it was eventually replaced by the existing Empire.
 
82570 Cottage Creek Newcastle - - 1851 15 March Newcastle MM
 
  Bridge substantially repaired and excellent road formed on the heavy sandy tract between Cottage Creek Bridge and Throsby's Creek
 
78519 Newcastle Cottage (*probably near Cottage Creek) - - 1828 9 April Newcastle Australian
 
  Youngest son of Lieutenant Sweeney of Royal Veterans. Died after a lingering and painful illness occasioned by a residence in an unhealthy cottage near a swamp at Newcastle
 
 
 
 
<<  Previous  1  2